Published on April 19th, 2015 | by William Charles30
Citi ThankYou Premier Now 50,000 Points After $3,000 In Spend (No Longer Split Over Two Years)
- Receive 50,000 Citi ThankYou Points when you spend $3,000 or more within the first three months on the Citi ThankYou Premier card
The Fine Print
- Annual fee of $95 waived the first year
- Card earns at the following rates:
- 3x on travel
- 2x on dining and entertainment
- 1x on all other purchases
Previously the sign up bonus was 50,000 points but was split over two years. You’d earn 20,000 points after $2,000 in spending within the first three months and then another 30,000 points after an additional $3,000 points within the first three months of your second year of being a card member.
Obviously this offer is vastly superior, you get all of your points in the first year (avoiding the need to pay the annual fee) and the minimum spending requirement is lower. Today new changes came into effect on this card (lower annual fee, different bonus categories) which makes it more attractive to keep this card long term.
I’m probably going to jump on this bonus as it’s as good as I’ve seen. If you’re just interested in Citi ThankYou points, this offer makes more sense than the Citi Prestige card in my opinion (which has a massive annual fee of $450) that is also offering a 50,000 point bonus (there is also an in branch offer of 60,000 points with lower annual fee but higher minimum spending requirement).
If you’ve recently applied for this card, it’s well worth asking to be matched to this better sign up bonus as Citi will often match the bonus. If you’ve recently applied for the Prestige card keep in mind these rules when applying for Citi cards:
- Maximum of one Citi application per eight day period
- No more than two applications per 65 day period
- No more than one business application per 95 day period
Also keep in mind you’re not eligible for this offer if you have had a Citi ThankYou Premier card opened or closed in the past 18 months