Published on October 30th, 2017 | by William Charles8
Capital One Relaunches Sony Card – Earn 5x Points On Entertainment Purchases
Capital One recently relaunched their Playstation card and it looks like they have done the same with the Sony card. Let’s take a look.
- Sign up bonus of $50 after your first purchase
- No annual fee
- Card earns at the following rates:
- 5x points on entertainment & sony products
- 1x points on all other purchases
This is really the only thing interesting about this card. You earn 5x points per $1 spent on entertainment purchases. A full definition of entertainment is given here. But includes the following:
- Music Downloads and Record Stores
- Motion Picture (Movie) Theaters and Tickets
- Continuing Subscription Services
- Digital Goods – Large Digital Goods Merchant
- Digital Goods – Games
- Digital Goods Media – Books, Movies, Music
- Select Pay TV/Radio/Streaming Services
- Bands, Orchestras & Entertainment
- Video game amusement supply & arcade
As you can see, it’s quite broad. I’d think that Amazon will qualify, but that isn’t that interesting given other cards earn 5% cash back. Please share your datapoints on what does/doesn’t count in the comments below.
You also receive 5x ponts on Sony purchases from authorized retailers. Basically you earn 1x point and then you need to submit a Sony Rewards Bonus Point form to receive the additional 4x points.
How Much Are Points Worth?
First of all points cannot be redeemed for cash back or statement credit. They have to be used for Sony merchandise or ShowStoppers (‘once in a lifetime experiences’). I believe points are worth 1¢ towards merchandise.
Card would be a lot more interesting if you could cash out points for 1¢ each, as it stands it’s not that interesting. The 5x category is great, the problem is just redeeming the points. Keep in mind it’s also issued by Capital One meaning they will pull all three of your credit reports & you’re limited to one card per six months. I think most people would be much better offer with the Capital One Venture currently offering a bonus worth $500. I’d recommend reading this post if your new to Capital One cards as well.