Published on November 2nd, 2017 | by William Charles16
American Express Hilton Surpass 125,000 Point Offer
This is an exclusive offer only available on The Points Guy. I personally hate these types of offers but we’re committed to letting our readers know about the best possible offers.
No direct link (it’s an affiliate link for TPG, see above)
- American Express is offering a sign up bonus of 125,000 points on the Hilton Surpass card. Bonus broken down as follows:
- 100,000 points after $3,000 in spend within the first three months of card membership
- 25,000 points after an additional $1,000 in spend within the first six months
- Card will become Hilton Honors Ascend card on January 18th, 2018
- Annual fee of $95
- Card earns at the following rates:
- 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
- 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. gas stations
- 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on all other eligible purchases
- 10 free priority pass lounge passes
- Complimentary Hilton Honors gold status. Earn Diamond status after spending $40,000 in purchases within a calendar year
- One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $15,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
- No foreign transaction fees
- Currently the card has a $75 annual fee, doesn’t come with the priority pass lounge benefit and still has foreign transaction fees.
Previously the best bonus on this card has been 100,000 points after $3,000 in spend and then an additional free night certificate on account anniversary. I think that offer was better if you’re happy to pay the annual fee, if you’re not then it’s basically a free night certificate vs 25,000 points & $75. Personally I’d still take the free night certificate. The real question is: should you just wait until the Ascend is released? I don’t think the Ascend will be considered a new product. So if you get this bonus now you won’t be eligible for whatever bonus they offer on the Ascend.
I think American Express will offer the best bonuses they have ever offered on the Hilton cards when they are refreshed/released on January 18th, but I honestly don’t see them offering more than 120,000 Hilton points. My best guess is that they will probably offer the same bonus publicly, but keep in mind you’ll be paying an additional $20 in annual fees.
If you’ve applied for this card recently then it’s worth asking for a match. In general American Express does not match sign up bonuses, instead they give courtesy points. The only way to get these points is by calling in (chat reps can’t/won’t give out courtesy points) and asking if they can do anything as you only recently applied for a lower bonus. Sometimes escalating to a manager can help as well. Read more things everybody should know about American Express cards here.